Neck Pain Treatment
The cervical spine (neck) is the part of your spine that directly supports your head. It is comprised of seven small shock absorbing discs (vertebrae) that are supported by muscles and ligaments. Nerves from this section of the spinal cord run down the spine, and out to your upper chest, arms, and shoulders. At Caliber Pain™, we offer a multidisciplinary approach to neck pain treatment at our clinic in Midtown Manhattan.
Neck pain is very common. In fact, over 50% of the adult population reports experiencing neck pain. Men and women are equally affected. The majority of neck pain is mechanical in nature, meaning it is a result of lifestyle or injury from activity, not the result of structural abnormality. Some causes of neck pain include:
- Sprains and strains
- Bad posture
- Intervertebral disc degeneration
- Radiculopathy (pinched nerve)
- Spondylolisthesis (slipped vertebrae)
- Traumatic injury
- Cervical stenosis
- Skeletal irregularities
Diagnosing the cause or source of neck pain is the first step to finding the right treatment to offer long-term relief.
Relieving Neck Pain
If you have neck pain, initially, conservative therapies will be recommended by our pain doctors, including:
- Alternating heat and cold
- Physical therapy
- Guided stretching
- Analgesics and NSAIDS
- Anti-convulsants, anti-depressants and counterirritants
If these conservative modalities do not provide adequate relief, the following interventional therapies may be the next option before any consideration of surgery:
- Epidural injections of a combination of an anesthetic and steroid for immediate pain relief and reduction of inflammation. These can be followed by a regenerative option like stem cells or PRP for longer term healing and tissue repair. The regenerative options may be an appropriate first choice if immediate pain relief is not urgent.
- Nerve blocks
- Spinal cord stimulation
- Ketamine infusion
- Radiofrequency neurolysis
- Neural Flossing – RACZ (scar tissue reduction)
If you are suffering from neck pain and want relief, contact our pain specialists at Caliber Pain™. We offer innovative options for neck pain treatment at our clinic in the Upper East Side, NYC.